11 August 2011

Nursery Reveal!


Sound the trumpets! The reveals are beginning! Woohoo! It's pretty sad that I'm probably more excited for this than any of my readers.  Nonetheless, as you know, I've been working on the three bedrooms in our house.  Here were my goals:



1. The office/ new nursery- I was never happy with this room as an office.  I never put that much effort into it as an office, seen here.  Perhaps it was because I knew it would eventually become a nursery.  Or maybe it's because during it's reign as our home office, I designated it as Josh's space, therefore, I didn't feel the need to put too much into it.  Plus, maybe, just maybe, somewhere deep down, I liked didn't mind so much having a room where I could just throw things and shut the door if needed.


*No before pics, sadly, besides that link to my Facebook profile.  Those pics didn't make the cut from the old computer.  They're still in our possession, just not on the computer we're using now.  I'm still a total amateur, I know. 


2. Our bedroom- Also a room I've never been crazy about.  I have beautiful images in my head of a light and airy, relaxation inducing master suite.  But, this room, in reality is never going to get the attention I truly want to give it.  But I still wasn't okay with the hodgepodge that it'd become.  So, I like it's makeover to an express pedicure.  Not the whole deal, but still feeling refreshed and satisfied with the end results.


3.  Sofia's room-  This room is going from nursery/ Sofia's baby room to her "big girl" room.  Grand visions were abound in this room as well.  However, there were a few major factors that played into this makeover.  I was/ am on a budget.  Even if I could, I kind of enjoy finding the steals.  Also, I had a time limit.  Furthermore, I didn't want to change it too much.  


Okay, so I'm not going to bore you squeeze all three makeovers in one post.  I'm going to cover all three of them over the next week or so.  Tonight, I'm starting with the nursery.  Once again, here is the before.  (So sorry for no actual picture in the post, again.) Let me preface this by saying that this was going to be a COMPLETELY different room until about a week before it was done.  My sister and I spent the morning at JoAnn Fabric and Michaels picking out fabrics and other crafts for the nursery.  I found some that I loved and already knew that I wanted some form of yellow walls.  Here is that pallet:
I LOVED these fabrics.  The first, the turquoise and white, was going to be the curtains that I was going to make, and the others would be pillows and stretched over canvas as giant art.  I really adored what was happening.  I thought it looked a little vintage and adored the colors.  When I'm laying in bed, I can see directly into the nursery.  After we bought all of this, I would lay there and try to envision it.  As much as I loved all of the materials that were going into the room, I just couldn't put it all together as a room, with accessories, etc... I perused Etsy the internet for inspiration, and just wasn't seeing what I wanted.  We'd already painted the room at this point.  The color is Toasted Almond by Sherwin Williams.  It is a buttery, creamy yellow, and I liked that.  However, with an east facing room, there is LOTS of daytime sunlight.  The color looked true and fabulous in that light.  But, at night, when we turned the lights on (the energy efficient kind), it looked much more citrus-y. It's off putting to me.  But we ARE not painting it again.  So, one morning, I decided to just pop in a store in Tri-County, Treehouse Kids, to see if I could find something that sparked my interest or inspired me with what I already had.  As soon as I walked in, I spotted a nursery set that eyed hardcore when I was pregnant with Sofia.  They were selling the floor model at a very deep discount, because it's being discontinued.  And it had yellow in it.  I was alone.  I knew that if Josh or my sister would've been with me, they would've talked me out of it. I'm pretty darn good about keeping receipts and I knew I had all of my receipts from JoAnn still.  So... I bought it.  All of it.  And, I really didn't think I was an "entire pre packaged nursery set" kind of gal.  Who knew?  I bought the four piece crib set, decorative throw blanket, framed art, valance, 3 frame set, and two throw pillows for about $195 pre-tax.  Here is the link to it on Amazon.   I'll go ahead and do that math for you.  I SAVED $164.86- ALMOST 50%! That is fantastic, especially for nursery bedding- "couture" nursery bedding! And, it looks great! I'm very happy with my decision. Check it out.


See that tiny hummingbird at the top? The previous owner of the house had them hanging from the cords of the ceiling fans in the two kids' bedrooms.  I just can't bring myself to remove them for some reason.

See those gold handles on the closet door? YUCK! We have a side project going on right now where we're changing all the door hardware in our house from brass to oil rubbed bronze.  Those will not be gold/ brass/ tacky for much longer.
I made those three pieces of art.  Total cost= about $7 per piece. Total time spent= about one hour.  That red lamp isn't staying. It was a $5 find at Ikea, but we agreed once we lit it up in the room, that it would be a MUCH better fit at our red bar in the basement. And, I'm going to paint the little stand that it's sitting on once I get a new/ old lamp. Oh, and there is one of the newly oil rubbed bronze door knobs!



I like how this little guy reminds me of the art from Woodstock. 

So, there you have it.  The color definitely looks OFF in some light and perfect in other light, and these photos aren't doing it justice AT ALL.  I just have to learn to be okay with that.  Josh said so. All of the furniture came from Sofia's old room, so there was no expense there, except the dresser ($40- craigslist and assembled already!).  And, I made the hanging flower/ pompom/ weird things above the crib, along with the art seen above.  The rug was a $25 find at Lowe's.  So the total cost of this room, paint included was less than $300! There are still plenty of accessories (read: baby supplies), changing pad cover, etc... needed to fill up the room.  I've already spent some time just rocking in the glider, imagining what my new little girl will be like.  I kind of love how this is NOT how I envisioned this room at all, but it all just kind of fell together this way after a series of events. 

No comments:

Post a Comment