10 March 2011

My Social Media about Social Media

In case you haven't noticed, I will not blog every day.  I don't want this blog to be a personal journal of what I did that day.  Trust me, I am capable of that, and quite honestly, I don't doubt that I could make just that very entertaining.  But, it's about improvement, and quite frankly, these last few days, I've been knee deep in the following things:

1. Bitterness from the fallout at my job.  UGH. I have no desire to spread that negativity your way. I'm sure in future posts, I'll reflect on it as a learning experience, because I did, in fact learn some interesting things about myself.  But, I need to release the anger that I'm still harbouring before I can write something true and legit.

2. Gluttony.  I gained 12 lbs. my entire pregnancy with Sofia.  I felt great and loved being pregnant.  I don't feel that bad right now.  But, I am SO. HUNGRY. UGH again.  I would never, ever disclose what I've been eating the past few days. It's been good, but you want to talk about needing improvement? Um, yes, room for that? Party of one, right here. 

3. Exhaustion.  Besides having the appetite of a 16 year old JV football player, I am SO. TIRED.  I was very tired while carrying Sofia as well.  But now, I'm carrying a 20+ lb. Sofia and this little nugget, (and probably an extra 5-8 lbs based on the last item).  The thing about having a child is that you have to be ON all the time; at least until they go to bed.  Sweet, sweet bedtime.  I've been sleeping during her nap.  I've NEVER done that.  Instead of recharging me, however, I'm still dragging ass when I wake up.  And, the weather has certainly contributed to this.  My second tri and spring couldn't get here any faster.

With that all said, let's talk Social Media.  I had a job interview today. On Skype! How crazy is that? (Do I sound old?).  Luckily, I'm well versed in Skype as Aunt Cookie (my sister) spent last year on the other side of the country.  She watched Sofia grow from a drooling three month old to, well, a drooling 9 month old all via a computer screen.  But, still! It was pretty cool.  I tossed around the idea of wearing a cute top, blazer, and the frumpiest, ugliest pajama pants I could find, just because I could. But then I thought about if I had to get up for ANY reason at all during the interview, I'd be toast.  It was actually just as personal, if not more, than interviewing in person.  The company is based in Louisville and she just couldn't make it up here.  I felt like I was welcoming her into my home.  And, I was more comfortable.  Every other job I've researched has been via the Internet, and social networking has presented even MORE opportunities! Seriously, how did people do this before the Internet? 

So, where am I going with this? Well, I've utterly embraced the oversharing world that we've evolved into.  Nothing against the majority of you, who choose to participate, but remain relatively private.  I envy that.  I've always been an "over-sharer" per se. I've had MANY a conversation, where afterward, I silently cursed myself for saying too much, or just saying something mildly (or even wildly) inappropriate.  I'm that mom that posts about Sofia's poop on Facebook.  When Myspace was the go to site, I always completed those (terribly annoying) surveys.

One of the things that people have against all this new technology is that it's making us all a little more impersonal, or too connected.  It's done the opposite for us.  Some relatives that I may only see a handful of times a year get to see Sofia grow up, and hear about how I try to get her to repeat, "Chuck it!" (that ball thrower thing for Pablo), just in the hopes that she'll mispronounce it and I'll get an easy laugh.  Don't judge that, okay?  My sister, and Sofia and I still go to brunch every Sunday, just so we can see each other in person, and well, okay, catch up on things we texted, FB chatted, emailed, etc... about.  Josh, Sofia, and I eat dinner at our dining room table every night. If we don't that means we're around a table somewhere else, with more family members.  My best friend still comes over to visit, just so we can sit on the couch and chat.  So, it hasn't had that effect on us.

And now, I'm blogging.  And trust me.  It's going to get personal.  I'm pregnant, what do you expect? And, quite frankly, it would be without the bun in the oven.  Oh, and here's the required blogger reminder:  If you don't like it, don't read it. :)

I realize that I've opened myself up to judgement.  But, I always have.  I'm not one of those people that's all like, "I don't care what people think of me, blah, blah, blah..." I do care! Sometimes I really let it affect me.  But, I'm not fake to try to please people.  The REAL me just really tries to please people.  Does that make sense? Sometimes, I get flustered because there is a battle within me about who to try to please if people in my life want different things. In the same breath, though, I will say, when it comes to parenting, it's different.  Everything I've chosen to do with Sofia (where she sleeps, what she eats, etc...) I've done because it's what is best for our family.  Believe me, I've chosen to do some things the unpopular way.  But, I'm proud of the parent I am and the toddler I'm raising.

Okay, this went off on a few random tangents,  but I think I got my point across?  (By the way, if you ever question my use of a question mark, please be aware that it's completely intentional.)  I realize that this is kind of a weak entry, but I'm still getting my feet wet, and please refer to the above if you have any complaints.  Wish me luck on my new opportunities, as I'm sure I'll learn a lot, and definitely make room for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment